herbage-box made from paletts! (easy)

The other day my SO asked me to build some sort of herbage box for the kitchen.
The idea was to put this box on the kitchenette, grow herbage and just pick them as needed.

Well, europaletts…what else. :)

IMG_20140925_070256
The final product!

IMG_20140914_113721
IMG_20140914_120301
IMG_20140914_133416
I cut the palett along the long side. Only one part will be used though.

IMG_20140914_135822

IMG_20140914_135829
The height of the box was not satisfying. So i decided to add another 2cm.

IMG_20140914_140454
The chicks always come checking me out. ;)

IMG_20140914_142055
IMG_20140914_140958
I took 2 boards from the pallet top and sawed them to the right width to circa (give or take a mm) align with the box.

IMG_20140914_142520
A test to see if the desired look (dimension, proportions) is what i had on my mind.

IMG_20140914_162634
IMG_20140914_155007
Sanding before it will be assembled.

IMG_20140914_163629
IMG_20140914_163649
I just lined it up edge to edge and used 8 screws to mount it.
Make sure the screws are submerged sufficiently. You don’t want to scratch the surface of whatever it is put on later.

IMG_20140915_191951
IMG_20140915_195748
Time for the first layer of transparent (mate) paint.

IMG_20140916_184355
Used fine sandpaper pads in between the layers of paint.
Ended up adding a total of 3 layers of paint.

IMG_20140918_192619
IMG_20140918_192642
IMG_20140918_192633
Measured 92,2cm of lenght inside. Sawed off the 25x20mm aluminium profiles. Drilled 4 screwholes on each profile and screwed them down to visually close the gap. Nice side effect: This also somewhat eases up the total look of the box and goes good with the aluminium profiles later to come.

IMG_20140919_140847
Applied silicone to the base. Just in case….better safe than sorry.

IMG_20140919_150305 IMG_20140919_151910
Used 0,5mm thin pond liner.
I tried 2 times to get one big single piece in. It just seemed impossible to get the corners fit nicely. Even heavy use of a heat pistol did not help getting a result i can show to the GF.
Second piece and 3d on the opposite side.
Each layer and corners was sealed with silicone (layer by layer)

IMG_20140921_150520
Cuting 20x20mm aluminium profiles 45° to mitre.

IMG_20140921_150542
This is the tricky part. Did a few on my own until fortunately the pro came for a visit and helped me out. :O

IMG_20140921_150741
Cut off the overlaying pond liner and added construction adhesive all over the edges. (Dont use too much here. Otherwise it will get sqeezed out)

IMG_20140921_154726
Applied some pressure by fixating it for the next 24h.

IMG_20140924_074934 IMG_20140924_074955 IMG_20140924_075024
That’s the place it should go to.

IMG_20140924_185433
The GF…finally giving purpose to it.

IMG_20140925_070256 IMG_20140925_072220
Thats it. Plants in.
Let’s hope they will survive in there. :/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *